Australian-Canadian writer, anthropologist, big-wall climber, former soldier. Mainly, I just read too many Wilfred Thesiger, HW Tilman and TE Lawrence books at an impressionable age.
I studied for a BA in foreign languages (Arabic and French) and security studies before completing a Master of Anthropology – both at the ANU. My research focuses on political and ecological perspectives in anthropology, hoplology and conflict ethnography – in particular interactions between state actors and remote-living peoples (nomadic and mountain societies) in High Asia and North Africa.
Other research interests include traditional societies and the sociopolitical construction of “indigeneity”; the anthropology of borders (especially as it relates to small-arms trafficking); global and local forms of Islam; and the evolution of jihadism in a hyper-connected world.
I’ve conducted fieldwork in fairly diverse locations – the Thailand/Burma border, Cape York (Aboriginal Australia), all over the Arab World and in Mali and Mauritania.
I have a working proficiency with the French and Arabic languages and a basic knowledge of Kuuk Thaayorre. I have provided and can provide a translation service.
Below is a selection of some of my favourite kayaking and climbing adventures.
Traditional rock climbing up to 5.12a and ice climbing to Wi5.
– Ozymandias (winter), Mt Buffalo, Australia
– Bunny Bucket Buttress (solo), Blue Mountains, Australia
– First Ascent of Ijtihad, an offwidth crack at the end of the world, Cape Raoul, Tasmania, Australia
– First Ascent of A’sh Al-Rukh, Jebel Hawari, Soqotra
– Mariage Traditionel, Wanderdu (with Amadou Gourou, the son of the village chief of Garmi), Hand of Fatima, Mali
– North Pillar of Kaga Tondo (solo), The Hand of Fatima, Mali
– The Squamish Stroll: One-Day Linkup of Shannon Falls, The Papoose, The Malamute, The Chief, The Squaw, Squamish, British Columbia
– Phyllis’ Engine, Garibaldi Range, British Columbia
– Becky-Chouinard Route, South Howser Tower, Bugaboo Range, British Columbia
– Northeast Buttress, Mt Slesse, Cascade Mountains, British Columbia
– Crossing of Bass Strait by Sea Kayak, 2011
– Circumnavigation of Morton Island by Sea Kayak, 2014
– Junior Winner of NSW Marathon Canoe Series, 2008
– Junior Winner of the Hawkesbury Canoe Classic, 10hr 27min, 2008
Some Other Fun Times:
– 30hr Entrapment in the Transit Lounge at Cairo Airport during the Egyptian Revolution and a 56 hour foodless layover (robbed and broke) in Algiers Airport
– 26hr Unintentional Waterless day in the Sahara desert between Timbuktu and Douentza, Mali